Tiffany in ClevelandAugust 11th, 2012 Posted in Art, East Side, Galleries/Museums/Exhibits, Glass, Mosaics
One of Cleveland’s treasures has been described as an outdoor museum and arboretum. Lake View Cemetery was established in 1869, the final resting place for many famous (oil magnate John D. Rockefeller, Western Union Telegraph founder Jeptha Wade) and infamous people. Wade Chapel, named after Jeptha Wade, was opened in 1902.
Louis Comfort Tiffany not only designed the center stained glass window, he designed its art nouveau interior. The entrance doors are solid bronze, the floors are a Tiffany marble mosaic with a glass mosaic border.
This 7′ x 9′ work of gorgeousness is “The Flight of Souls”, designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Before its installation in the Wade Chapel in 1901, Tiffany shipped it over to Paris for the 1900 World Exhibition, where it was prominently displayed at the entrance to the U.S. pavilion. It helped Tiffany to win his first gold medals from the L’Exposition Universelle. The window consists of several layers of a highly specialized glass known as “Favrile,” which is known for its multicolored striations, opalescence and iridescence.* The understated colors are unusual in stained glass.
“The Voyage of Life” wall mosaic is composed gold, glass and marble.
Details of the mosaics created for Wade Chapel’s opening in 1902.
Lake View Cemetery
12316 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-4393